29 March 2010

Product Review: Color Oops

I've been dying my hair jet black or blue black for years and finally decided that I wanted a change. I want to go lighter. I first thought that it would work to go lighter over the previously dyed black. Which was wrong. It doesn't work like that. Then I came across this product, Color Oops, which claims to remove hair colour. So I had to try it. I went to the closest supermarket and in the hair colour aisle I couldn't find it. I was still convinced to remove the black from my hair though. So I went to the closest drug store which was half an hour bus ride away and found myself some Color Oops. I got myself the Extra Strength one.

On the package it says:
-Gently removes permanent & semi-permanent hair color
-Takes only 20 minutes
-Safe and Easy
-Ammonia & Bleach Free
-Re-color the same day

I am totally amazed with this product. I love the fact that it is ammonia and bleach free. I have no idea how it really works, but it really did remove the black from my hair, so now I'm left with the natural reddish black/brown that I have. I don't think this product will work quite as well on blonde or other lighter hair colours though, because I had a panel in my hair that I had bleached platinum blonde before I dyed over it with black, and now its just a slightly lighter shade of brown than my natural colour. But maybe repeated applications of Color Oops will do the job? I don't know, but I'm very happy with my results. I originally intended to dye over it with a different shade of brown, but I won't now, since I absolutely love the colour I'm at now. One thing that I absolutely hate about this product though, is that you have to rinse the hair for 20 minutes. Even though I love taking long hot showers, I got really bored there just rinsing and rinsing and rinsing for 20 minutes, and my skin got all wrinkly. I was just so bored I couldn't stand it. But as the instructions say, it's a crucial part of the process. I also hate the smell. It smells like rotten eggs. But it was tolerable.

1 comment:

  1. Hi all, I will make this brief. I have light strawberry/blonde hair, with repeated blonde highlights. My hair was pretty much fried. Anyway, I got bored with keeping up with the hightlights, so thought I would do a natural instincts lightest brown/ red... WRONG decision! It was dark red/purple/brown... hideous! God bless my husband, he thought I was cute..it looked dark like when we were dating. BUT, 15 years later, it doesnt look so good anymore!!! Anyway, I have done this before, and usually go to the salon to have it fixed (you would think I would learn, but no!)... but the last time I went it cost me $200 to fix, and I dont have that to pay. sooooo... went online, and read literally over a hundred reviews....and with fear and trembling bought color oops. I thought I would be the 1% that has her hair fall out... yet I was desperate (or a sick thrill seeker) I still washed my hair with dish soap, soaked it in hot olive oil, used dandruff shampoo, the whole bit, but the color wouldnt budge. sooo... I mixed the color oops, did a strand test (acutally 2, one from the back of my head, and one from the front, just in case). Figured out my time, and then, shaking, I slathered her on my whole head. The stuff is runny, and yup, very stinky, but not much worse than a salon. Those who say it is unbearable have never sat in a salon for 4 hours getting their hair done... Anyway, I combed it through with a wide comb, for probably half of the time it was in, then when time was up, I washed, washed washed. Then conditioned the heck out of it. Rinsing is very important aparently. Well, I let it air dry ( I was afraid of heat damage) and ....tada! The burgandy was gone, and I was left with a nice, even color, and my HIGHTLIGHTS were still there! I have never been so relieved to see blonde! It isnt exactly the same color, but close enought, with no purple to be found, and I really like it. Oh, also, even though my hair was parched, it looks pretty good, and did not fall out, and looks no worse for the wear. I can not tell you how happy I am about this, and i would not hesitate to use it again. It is a bit runny and stinky, but soooo worth it! Good luck, and dont forget to rinse the heck out of it, thats how the color gets off your hair after it shrinks. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete