15 March 2010

Mascara Reviews

Mascara is probably my second favourite part of makeup, besides the concealer. So I've decided to do some reviews on the mascaras that I've tried in the past half a year, including some mascara bases. Also I realized, that the brush of the mascara really does make a difference, and it will really depend on what kind of look you are going for. First, there are the straight wands, and there are the curved ones. I personally prefer to use the straight ones over the curved ones, but some people prefer the curved. It is just a matter of preference. Then there's the bristles.

First, there's the really fat brushes with tons of bristles on them, tightly packed together. These brushes are great if you're looking to volumise your lashes. It could also create a natural look since it coats each lash individually.

Then there's the ones that also have tons of bristles on them, but some bristles are longer and some are shorter of length. These ones tend to clump several lashes together at a time, creating a more dramatic look.

And then there's the ones that look spiky and are made of... silicone? I think. Or some kind of rubbery plastic... And finally, there's the combs. These ones are aimed at creating a thick, even coat that will grab every hair, even the shortest ones at the corners of your eyes.

My personal favourites are the fat dense bristle brushes, and the rubber brushes.

Now for some reviews.


Maybelline New York The Colossal Volum' Express Mascara

Description:
Creates 9X the volume, instantly.
Patented MegaBrush + Collagen Formula plump lashes one by one
Dramatic Volume with no clumps
Washable

My review:
This was probably the first mascara I found that I truly loved. It really volumizes and lengthens my lashes, and doesn't clump at all. Despite the fat brush, it picks up every single hair, even the shortest ones at the corners of my eyes, without accidentally getting some mascara on my lids. This is an example of the first type of brushes I described. The formula itself is great, it lasts all day, doesn't smudge at all and no fallout.


Maybelline The Colossal Volum' Express Waterproof Mascara

Description:
Creates 7X the volume, instantly.
Patented MegaBrush + Collagen Formula plump lashes one by one
Dramatic Volume with no clumps
Waterproof

My review:
You may be wondering, why am I making a separate review on the two? Shouldn't they be exactly the same, except that one is waterproof and the other isn't? That's what I thought when I was buying it. I don't know about the description though.... Does the fact that its waterproof make it 7x the volume instead of 9x? I didn't notice any difference when putting it on though. The only difference I found, was that after 10 minutes, the mascara smudged all over under my eyes. It was horrible. I tried so many times to like this, but it just didn't work. A lesson learned? Waterproof isn't always better. And waterproof does not mean smudgeproof.


Maybelline Lash Stiletto Ultimate Length Waterproof Mascara

Description:
The only mascara that does for lashes what stilettos do for legs.
The Grip & Extend brush grasps each lash and coats from every angle
Elastic formula stretches lashes for provocative length
Pro-Vitamin B-5 formula conditions and smoothes for black-patent shine
Contact lens safe and Ophthalmologist tested
Waterproof

My review:
I really love the look that this mascara creates. It really does lengthen the lashes. But it doesn't volumise very much, not that it claims to. This is an example of the brushes that I talked about with the varying lengths of bristles. One thing I don't like about the bristles is that they're really prickly, I hate the feel of it going on my eyelashes when it touches the eyelash line. Also, this does smudge. Again the same problem with the previous mascara. Waterproof doesn't mean smudgeproof. Though this one doesn't smudge nearly as much as the other.


Estee Lauder More Than Mascara Moisture-Binding Formula

Description:
For more defined, more conditioned, more beautiful lashes.

Why settle for less, when you can have more?

THE LOOK

Beautiful silky lashes, defined and conditioned.
Defines each lash from end to end with a continuous stroke of color.

THE BRUSH
Patented brush provides precise, smooth and even application.
Each lash is groomed, shaped and defined.

THE BRISTLES
Hollow-fiber bristles comb and separate lashes easily, without pulling or tugging.

THE FORMULA
Boosts lashes with in-depth moisture that binds to each one and keeps it silky.
Microscopic beads help prevent friction, so mascara glides on with ease for smooth, even coverage.

THE COLOR
Advanced pigment technology creates the blackest shades possible
Light is absorbed, reflections reduced, color is visibly intensified.

FORMULA FACTS
Ophthalmologist-tested
Fragrance-free
Suitable for contact lens wearers

My review:
Wow, that is probably the longest mascara description I've seen. It really sells the product. But I actually didn't see that until just now, because I didn't actually buy the one I have now. It came as a sample in one of those little free gift bags you get from buying over a certain amount of stuff from Estee Lauder. Otherwise I probably would have never discovered this mascara. So I was back at home during Christmas, and I was stuck with the waterproof Colossal mascara that was the only mascara I brought back with me. It kept smudging so much every single day, I found this sitting in my room that I hadn't ever used. So I picked it up and decided I'll give it a try. It'll probably be much better than the smudging no matter what. And it was. Much better. Most of the time it didn't smudge, though it did like, one or two times of the two weeks, maybe just because I didn't set the concealer in under my eyes with powder those times. The brush is like the Colossal, but thinner. Creates pretty much the same look, except a little more natural. I'd have to say, I love it, but I probably wouldn't buy it.


MaxFactor Masterpiece Max High Volume & Definition Mascara

Description:
High volume that's sleek and smooth. Suitable for contact lens wearers.

My review:
I've previously heard great things about some MaxFactor mascaras, but they don't sell them in Canada unfortunately. So I got this one while I was in Hong Kong during the summer, but I hadn't used it until I came back after Christmas. It has the silicone bristles I was talking about earlier. I got this in black/brown. On the brush, it really looks brown, but when its put on it looks like a really natural black, which makes it look really natural on my lashes. It doesn't seem to add very much volume but it sure does add length. And it doesn't smudge at all. I love it. It's unfortunate that I can't get anymore of it here, or try any other MaxFactor mascaras.


CoverGirl LashBlast Volume Blasting Mascara

Description:
Get a blast of lush, volumized lashes! LashBlast's patented volume-boosting formula and patent-pending brush are designed to max-out each and every lash, leaving you with the ultimate big lash look. Now in waterproof, too!

My review:
Probably everyone has seen this big, bright orange mascara somewhere. I saw it. And it certainly has caught my eye. I've heard great reviews on it too. So I decided that I had to try it. And it is currently my favourite mascara ever. It has a huge rubber/silicone/whatever brush, that defines, volumises and lengthens the lashes. No clumping at all, can create a dramatic or natural look.... It doesn't smudge at all.... It's pretty much the perfect mascara for me. It's between this or the Maybelline Colossal for me. This one like the Maybelline, picks up every little hair despite the fat brush, without getting any on my eyelids, which is great.


Lancome Cils Booster XL Super-Enhancing Mascara Base

Description:
Suitable even for sensitive eyes.

Discover the maxi booster effect. A new white mascara base enriched with XL Micro-Fibers to prime and protect your lashes. For use under your usual mascara to enhance its colour and makeup result for a look that is instantly more intense, more captivating.

My review:
I absolutely love this mascara base. I use it with every single one of my mascaras, all the time (So keep in mind, if you try any of the mascaras I reviewed previously and they don't produce the same effect, this might be why). I find that it adds more volume and length to my lashes, and it makes it less smudgeable and easier to take off at the end of the day.


Shiseido Mascara Base

Description:
A clear base coat for eyelashes that improves mascara application and wear, and boosts volume and curl. Adds dramatic definition to the eyes.

・Contains Multi-Nutrient Factor, an advanced moisturizer.
・DERMATOLOGIST AND OPHTHALMOLOGIST-TESTED.
(Formulated to minimize the risk of allergy and eye irritation.)

My review:
While this does add volume, it doesn't seem to add any curl to my eyelashes as it claims. I certainly don't like this nearly as much as the Lancome mascara base though. It doesn't make as much of a difference, and it doesn't reduce smudging for me like the Lancome one does.


And of course, I will be updating with more mascaras as I try them, once I'm done with these ones though.

No comments:

Post a Comment