8 March 2010

Concealer Reviews.

I've tried so many concealers in my day, and I'm always trying to find the perfect concealer mainly to cover my horrid dark eye circles and bags under my eyes that never go away. Here are some of the concealers that I currently have tried. There are more, but I threw them out long time ago because they just didn't work at all. These are the ones that I currently have and have not trashed yet.


NARS Duo Concealer (Custard/Ginger)


"NARS Duo Concealer camouflages blemishes and dark spots and evens out the skin's tonal variations. Enriched with Vitamin E, this lightweight, non-drying formula won't settle into fine lines or creases."


I've only used this maybe like... 2 or 3 times since I got it about half a year ago. I'm just not too pleased with it. It doesn't cover up my dark circles at all. It also doesn't do well on blemishes or pimples. It is pretty lightweight as it says in the description. It is nice and creamy and goes on easily. But it seems to accentuate my dry skin and look kind of cakey. It also settles in the fine lines under my eyes. I do like how it comes with the two shades though so you can mix them to get the perfect shade, or use the darker/lighter on certain areas.


Amazing Cosmetics Amazing Concealer (Medium Beige Light)


"The AmazingConcealer is formulated to erase all skin imperfections: Dark circles, broken capillaries, sun damage, blemishes, redness and more. There's nothing on the market today that can compare to the AmazingConcealer and it's ability to erase all skin imperfections. Unlike traditional concealers, the AmazingConcealer is so concentrated, you only need to use tiny pin-dot amounts of product to create the skin you've always wanted but thought you could never have. A beauty insider's favorite, the AmazingConcealer is your "magic eraser."

The description makes it sound amazing. I would say that this is one of my favourite concealers so far, although it isn't perfect. It is creamy, blends really well and doesn't dry out. It doesn't look cakey and doesn't settle into my fine lines. It covers my undereye circles pretty well, but it doesn't cover blemishes very well. For my undereye circles it doesn't cover them up completely on days that I didn't have enough sleep which make them even darker than they are to start with. Also the letterings on my tube just rubbed off somehow after getting it for a few days, which is just unappealing to me because it makes it seem like its cheaply made. But its what's inside that counts.

Edit: I would have to say that this is no longer one of my favourite concealers. It is great at doing it's job, but it has such a high content of mineral oil in it. After using it for quite a while, I noticed that around my eyes, I was starting to get a lot of milia. So I stopped using it and it would go away. And then I would start using it again because I needed something good to cover my dark eye circles, but the milia would come back every time I used it. Also, I find that with this concealer it is a requirement, to set the concealer with a powder, otherwise within a couple hours it runs and fades. I also ended up getting a new tube in another shade so I could mix and get the perfect shade depending on the season, and with the new tubes the label doesn't rub off like it did with the old ones.


MAC Select Cover-Up (NC20)


"Liquid camouflage for the skin. Texture-free, virtually invisible. Comes in a tube. Blends in. Brightens and lightens dark areas, erases spots, evens-out skin tones. Makes skin flaw-free. Use pre-foundation, or on its own. Don't reveal it, conceal it!"

I really wanted to like this. It seems to cover up everything really well, it is really creamy, blendable and lightweight. The only problem I have with it is that it seems to be drying on my skin, making it look cakey.

Edit: After I stopped using eye cream the skin under my eyes have smoothed out majorly. Now when I use this concealer, it goes on really well and doesn't look dry and cakey. It is one of my new favourite concealers!


Calvin Klein endless creme creme concealer (205 bare)


"What it is: A creamy, conditioning concealer that camouflages imperfections. What it is formulated to do:Endless Creme blends naturally to cover blemishes and flaws with a weightless finish.What else you need to know: Enriched with skin balancing isopeptides, this product is proven to reduce fine lines and wrinkles with continued use. Formulated with advanced lipo-siliconic technology, as well as vitamins E and C. Fragrance free."

I got this concealer from Sephora maybe a year ago or so, and I am still using it. I absolutely love it. This is honestly my favourite concealer I've ever come across. The only downside is that Sephora doesn't sell it anymore, so I guess I'll have to search to order it online somewhere when I run out. But seriously, it is perfect. It is the creamiest concealer I've ever used, it is lightweight, covers everything, even the darkest eye circles I've had. It doesn't settle into fine lines, doesn't dry out, lasts all day.... I don't know what else to say about it. It is pretty much perfect.


Shiseido The Makeup Concealer Stick (1 Light)


"Perfectly conceals uneven skin tones such as dark circles, spots, and freckles for an instantly brighter, more uniform complexion. Formulated with vitamin E and C derivatives to reduce the appearance of discoloration. Contains Prismatic Powder to enhance luminosity."

The one that I got actually came in a gunmetal coloured tube, although everything else looks exactly the same. I guess they changed its packaging. I don't know if the formula is still the same, but I like it. It provides full coverage, blends well, creamy and lasts all day. The only thing I don't like about it is it looks cakey if I try to use it to cover my dark eye circles. Otherwise, for blemishes and such, it is perfect.

Edit: Same as with the MAC Select Cover-up, now that the skin under my eyes is smoother, it doesn't look cakey at all. The coverage is AMAZING, and it looks like I have nothing on. I love it! It has become another one of my favourite concealers.


Barbara Daly Concealer (Warm)


Yes, this product doesn't look very attractive at all. If I were to have ever seen this in stores without knowing anything about it, I would have never plunged into trying this out. I'm normally not a big fan of pot concealers, I usually go more for the liquid ones. And this one is only sold at Tesco in the UK. So it took me a long time after reading numerous rave reviews of it before I actually decided that I needed to get my hands on one of these to try. Where did I finally find it? On Ebay. Considering the price, which came to be about $11 CDN including shipping, for 3 pots of it, I thought it would be totally worth to try. It arrived in the mail in less than a week for me, which totally surprised me, and I had to immediately try it out. I had ordered the medium shade, and upon opening the package and seeing the colour of it, I totally thought that the shade was way too dark for my skin tone. But once I smeared into it, the colour was much lighter than it appeared so it matched my shade better, although it is still slightly too dark. I used my concealer brush to put it on under my eyes and it was very creamy and blended very well. And this was in the middle of the day of a day that I had decided not to wear any makeup. So my face was fresh and clear of makeup, but it wasn't just moisturized like when I usually apply my makeup. And I hadn't put on my BB cream yet (I usually apply BB cream before concealer). So upon application, my skin was actually drier than usual, but the concealer still went on really creamy and didn't cake or cling onto any of my little dry spots. Plus, it's coverage is AMAZING and it lasted all day and I didn't even set it with powder. I cannot rave enough about this concealer. It's definitely my new favourite. I just regret not having tried this earlier, before I wasted so much money on other concealers that I've been trying. And with three pots.... I'm never going to run out. Or at least not for a long time.


NYX Concealer in a Jar (CJ04, CJ05)


"Provides smooth, long lasting coverage so you can pretend the word "concealer" doesn't exist in your dictionary!"

I normally don't really like to use cream concealers like these, but after trying the Barbara Daly concealer, I decided I wanted to try these ones as well. I went with the shades CJ04 (Beige) and CJ05 (Medium), because CJ04 seemed a little bit too light so I wasn't sure. CJ05 ended up being way too dark. CJ04 has sort of a yellow undertone, while CJ05 is more of a pink undertone. What I usually do is use CJ04 to cover up all my dark circles and then dab a tiny bit of CJ05 on top of it to get the perfect shade.

These concealers are super smooth and velvety. They go on really nice, provide great coverage and they don't cake or settle in fine lines or anything, and it lasts all day. I think I might actually like this more than the Barbara Daly concealer actually because it feels more lightweight.

They do have a weird... bathroom-like (I don't mean shit-like, just that bathroom soap) smell to them though, which is something I don't like, but its not like I'm putting tons of it on or anything so the smell isn't noticeable. Other than that, these are great!

Edit: As with the Amazing Cosmetics concealer, this does have mineral oil in it as well. I find that whenever I use it, my undereye skin develops milia the same way it does whenever I use Amazing Cosmetics. Also, setting powder is a must with this concealer or my eye makeup ends up all over the place which is not attractive.

No comments:

Post a Comment