12 May 2010

Vegan Sugar Cookies

I found this recipe on vegweb.com and replaced the silken tofu it called for, for applesauce. And I added a cookie frosting to them as well. I have been meaning to try this out for ages and I finally did. They turned out great. The cookies themselves taste really good. Soft and rich. And not too sweet. But once I added the frosting, it was a little bit too sweet to my taste. But I’m sure if they’re being made for children, they won’t be too sweet. Also I did a horrible job of frosting them, its embarassing… that’s why I don’t have a picture for these. But I will take a picture the next time I make them.

Ingredients:

Cookies:
3 tbsp Applesauce
1/2 cup Earth Balance margarine
1 tsp Vanilla
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Frosting:
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
2 tsp soymilk
2 tsp light corn syrup

Directions:

1. Cream together margarine and sugar until fluffy.
2. Add applesauce and vanilla.
3. Sift in flour, baking powder and salt.
4. Mix well.
5. Roll out and use cookie cutters to cut out cookies. Make them however thick you want them to be, since they won’t rise much.
6. Bake for approximately 10 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

While cookies are cooling….

1. Mix together confectioners’ sugar and soymilk.
2. Add corn syrup and stir well.
3. The frosting will be somewhat stiff.
4. I suggest putting the icing into a piping bag and pipe it onto the cookies. It’s much easier, less messy, since the frosting is so stiff it’s kind of hard to spread on with a spatula. You can also add a little bit more soymilk so its easier to spread and more like a glaze. If you’re adding sprinkles, be sure to put it on immediately after frosting, before the frosting hardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment