17 May 2010

Steamed Custard Buns

Even though I haven't been baking or cooking as much now that I'm home, I still make things from time to time. What I like most about being home, is that when I do bake something there are people to help me eat it all within 1 or 2 days, so nothing gets wasted.

The other day I decided to make steamed buns. I made a batch of the usual steamed bun recipe, but then I decided to split the dough into three parts and make three different kinds. Plain, green onion and custard. They were all really good, but the custard ones were exceptional, especially considering that they were vegan and low fat, unlike the typical custard.

My brother liked it so much he even suggested that I try talking my uncle in letting me make them in bulk and sell them at his shop. That is, if I don't find a job for the summer, which I still haven't. But if I did, then it would be my first step towards opening my own bakery. Even though I will be selling these steamed buns through my uncle's shop, it'll make me happy just to know that people like the things that I make. And maybe I could gradually introduce more baked goods, and then one day, gradually move off onto opening my own little bakery.

I doubt it'll all happen though, and even though it's like, my lifelong dream to open my own bakery, it's also my dream to finish design school and become a successful architect or interior designer. So I don't know, I probably have to decide between the two one day.

Or maybe I can open up a new and different kind of store, sort of like Urban Outfitters or Anthropologie where they sell clothes and home decoration stuff, but I'll have baked goods and home decoration stuff all designed and made by myself.

Omg I absolutely love that plan! And I don't think there's anything like it yet, so it would be perfect! Now I just need to finish my design schooling, go to some culinary school, and get the funding (maybe work a few years), build up my name, and hopefully in about 10 years this can all happen....

No comments:

Post a Comment