9 April 2010

Vegan Alfredo Sauce

I haven't had alfredo sauce ever since I became vegan. I just never took the leap to try making a vegan one until a few days ago. I've just always been so paranoid it would come out tasting like soy. Because everything vegan calls for something like tofu or soymilk. So I finally decided to try it out. This recipe uses tofu. I was so paranoid it would taste like tofu, but it didn't at all. My boyfriend loved it too, and he couldn't tell there was tofu in it at all. He still doesn't know what I made it out of. I didn't have a lot of the ingredients that the recipe called for though, so I modified it and used what I had. I put some cauliflower in it too, which he usually hates, but he absolutely loved the cauliflower in this and we were fighting for them. He even liked my vegan alfredo more than real alfredo! This following recipe is what I used.

Ingredients:
1 package soft tofu
1/3 cup olive oil
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1-2 tbsp dried basil
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
Salt and black pepper to taste
Fresh cauliflower

Directions:
1. Heat oil in a pan. Lightly brown garlic in the oil. Make sure not to burn it or it'll be bitter. Allow to cool.
2. Blend together tofu and garlic/oil mixture until smooth and creamy.
3. Add water for desired consistency.
4. Place mixture in a saucepan, add vegetables and cook on medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
5. Add basil, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper and cook for another 3 minutes.
6. Serve over pasta.

For the original recipe, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment