9 April 2010

Product Review: Braun Silk-épil Xpressive Epilator (7781 Wet&Dry Body & Face)

Product information here.
I've been meaning to get a new epilator to replace my super old Remington one for years now. So I finally took the plunge. I did some research, and this one appeared to be the most attractive and impressive to me.

It always amazes me how so few people know what epilators are. Basically they are like a bunch of tweezers built into this amazing little thing that spins and pulls out hair the same way tweezers do, but in a much more efficient manner.

Epilating vs. Waxing?

Epilating is so much easier, faster, and not as messy. It's basically like shaving. Also I find that epilating can pull out the tiniest hairs. And the coarsest hairs that waxing would usually miss (Like underarm hair.... Waxing that just never works for me.) Also, there are no reoccurring costs, whereas with wax you need to keep buying the wax.

However, epilating can feel more painful than waxing, especially the first few times. But I think it's totally worth it. I feel that the hair doesn't grow back as fast with epilating as it does with waxing, even though waxing always claims to have smoothness lasting 4-6 weeks, it never really does. Neither does epilating, but definitely longer than waxing.

So a little bit about this epilator.... It works wet or dry. Meaning it can be used in the shower, and washable. This is what I love most about it. It also has a pivoting head, which is great because it can follow the contours of your body. It is cordless (rechargeable). It has a hairlift system that lifts and guides hair into the tweezers. A massaging system that increases comfort while epilating. And another one of my favourite features, it has a light built into it that lights up the area being epilated, so you don't miss a single hair. Also it has two speeds. It comes with some pre-epilation wipes, a shaver head, a precision head (for face), a narrow epilation head (for underarms and bikini), an efficiency cap, a pouch, and a brush for dry cleaning.

I am pretty much in love with my new epilator. I use it all the time now, instead of waxing. With my old epilator I had gotten so frustrated with it, I turned to waxing for a while. But with this new epilator, I don't think I'll ever wax again. I had tried my old epilator before on my underarm, and it hurt SO much and made it bleed a lot. Then a few days ago, I tried it with this new epilator and it did hurt, but I didn't bleed at all, and it was bearable. Also the fact that it can be used in the shower saved some pain. It's been a few days, and my underarms are still so smooth! I don't think I'll ever be shaving them again. I just tried them in the bikini area too. I was intending to do a full Brazilian, but it hurt so much I couldn't make it past just the typical bikini line area. It left some red bumps, but I know they'll go away because my first time epilating other areas of my body left me red bumps as well. I'm just hoping now that with more uses in the bikini area it will become easier.

Edit: I have been using the epilator about once a week on my underarm, and I have noticed that the hairs have been growing back finer each time. Also it doesn't hurt anymore to epilate there anymore, and I'm not getting red bumps there anymore. I haven't tried again with the bikini area though I have been planning to, but I forgot to bring my charger home with me so I'm trying to save up on its battery so it can last me a few more months hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment